Panorama Walking Tours in the Zell am See District
- 7 Days / 6 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Individual journey to Maishofen
Loop tour Lake Zell
Via Maishofen´s ridgeway you walk to mountain guesthouse Mitterberghof, where the comfortable sun terrace is inviting for a break. Enjoy the wonderful panorama view onto the surrounding mountains. Your way leads you downhill to Thumersbach past the Hubertus chapel and on along Lake Zell to palace Prielau. Via Mayerhofen and mountain Steinberg you return to palace Kammer.
By bus from the centre of Maishofen to ‘Sportregion Saalbach’. Your walking tour starts in Hinterglemm Mitterlengau and leads you up to Lindling alp, where you can learn a lot about wood in the nearby forest park (nature trail and high rope course). You continue in a loop tour past Saal alp to the end of the valley, from there you walk up towards Forsthof alp. Don´t miss to try a glass of homemade buttermilk and enjoy the panoramic views over the Sallachtal valley. Return journey by bus to Maishofen.
Loop tour Schmittenhöhe
Journey by bus to Zell am See, your goal is the mountain railway Schmittenbahn. By enclosure you reach the peak of mountain Schmittenhöhe on 1.965 m. Enjoy the unique view onto Lake Zell as well as an impressing panorama view onto numerous 3.000 m peaks. After the visit of Elisabeth chapel you walk down into the valley, first you reach mountain Sonnkogel, then Sonn alp and finally Zell am See. Take your time for a stroll through the city. You return by bus to Maishofen.
Directly from Kammer palace you enter your ‘royal stage’ onto mountain Schwalbenwand, Maishofen´s local mountain (2011m). Along varied trails you first walk to the peak in Maishofen, and a little later you can also reach the plateau of mountain Schwalbenwand if you want. It is well worth the effort and you will be rewarded with a unique panoramic view onto the snow-covered peaks of Hohe Tauern, the Steinerne Meer and the local grassy mountains. You return via Kammeregg alp where you recharge your batteries with a glass of cider and a bacon sandwich.
On your last walking day a comfortable tour is awaiting you. Along the tracks of Anton Faistenauer, one of Austria´s most important modern art painter you discover his home. The walking tour was opened up in 2010 and leads via 10 points from the centre of Maishofen to Saalhof palace and via Prielau with yet another palace over to Mayerhofen. Worth seeing are the frescoes in the Stablberg chapel, before you return along the river path of the Saalach to your hotel.
Individual departure or extra days
You walk on good walking paths and lovely trails with view onto the impressing mountain world of the region, and in parts on side roads and forest tracks. The daily tours can be managed with good health. Only the climb up to mountain Schwalbenwand and the descent of mountain Schmittenhöhe request some stamina.
You spend the night in an specially selected hotel with special "extras" and can enjoy all the facilities of the charming accommodation (see "Accommodation").
- 6 overnight stays in selected category
- Half board incl. 1x Pinzgauer Kasnockenpfanne (traditional Austrian dish)
- 2x walking snack
- Welcome meeting and welcome drink
- Liquor tasting in historic cellar at Kammer palace
- Snack at Kammeregg-Alp (bread with bacon and a glass of Most (cider- special drink in Austria)
- Use of all facilities at Kammer palace (swimming pond, sauna, spa,…)
- 1x Voucher for solarium
- 1x Voucher for infra-red sauna
- Entry for the lake resort Maishofen/ lake Zell
- Ascent fare by cable car Schmittenbahn
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents
- GPS-data is available
- By train to Zell am See, change to Bus or Taxi to Maishofen to Palace Kammer, costs approx. EUR 15 per fare, duration approx. 15 min.
- Car park: free hotel car park, no reservation required.
- Extra nights upon request
- Order of individual hiking tours is variable
- 4x Bus fares according to the program, approx. EUR 15 per person are not included
Hotel Schloss Kammer
The family has been leading the agricultural and touristic family business for eight generations now. The castle, which was fully renovated in 1994 and 2007, will take you back to ancient times and still you won’t miss any modern comfort. The hotel restaurant is widely known for its Pinzgau specialities. The Badstub`n spa invites you to relax.