The sunny Mediterranean peninsula.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Trieste - Muggia
Today’s walking tour leads you out of the seaport Trieste and through the Val Rosandra along the old railway tracks all the way to Socerb. This small town is well-known for Strmec castle, which offers a picturesque view onto the peninsula of Istria. Then onwards slightly downhill to Muggia, today’s Day Finish.
Muggia – Koper
Only after a few kilometres you say good bye to Italy and hello to Slovenia. Koper or Capodistria, the only sea port in Slovenia awaits you. Spend the rest of the day in the car-free zone of the old part of town and enjoy the oppulent buildings.
Koper – Piran
Always along the sea the route leads you into the old little fishing town of Izola and then onwards to Piran. Piran is the birth place of Giuseppe Tartini, an Italian violinist and composer, probably the best-known tourist attraction in Slovenia. Take a stroll through the alleyways with its Venetian palaces and enjoy the flair on the square Piazza Tartini in the centre of Piran.
Piran - Buje
You walk past the salt gardens of Sečovlje, where sea salt is produced by laying it out on vast areas and let evaporation do its magic, and onwards across the border into Croatia. Then you continue through the Croatian part of Istria, the largest peninsual in the Adriatic Sea, on slightly hilly terrain to Buje. Enjoy stunning views across the vineyards and all the way to the sea.
Buje – Motovun
Transfer to Grožnjan, a meeting point for all musicians worldwide. From Groznjan you walk along the old railway tracks, the ‚Parenzana’, all the way to Livade. The ‚Parenzana’ used to be a narrow-gauge railway, running from Trieste via Koper, Portoroz and Buje to Porec and was shut down in 1935. Transfer to Motovun.
Motovun - Porec
Der letzte Tag auf Entdeckungsreise in Istrien führt Sie nach Porec. Schon von weitem sehen Sie die Euphrasius-Basilika, welche von der UNESCO in das Weltkulturerbe aufgenommen wurde und unbedingt besichtigt werden sollte. Lassen Sie Ihre Wanderreise bei einem guten Glas Wein auf einem der Plätze in der Altstadt von Porec ausklingen.
The terrain from Trieste to Poreč is slightly hilly. You walk on well-maintained hiking paths, forest paths, paths across meadows and along the coastline. For the daily tours only a basic fitness level is required. We recommend this tour also as a follow-on tour of the Alpe-Adria-Trail from Cividale to Trieste.
Category: 3***-hotels, in parts 4****- hotels
- 7 overnight stays, breakfast included
- Luggage transfer
- Welcome meeting
- Transfers according to the program
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- By train to Trieste.
- Airport Trieste, Pula or likewise to Venice or Treviso. From there by train or bus to Trieste.
- Parking: public parking spaces in Trieste, approx. EUR 10,- to 25,- per day. No advance reservation possible.
- Return journey by bus from Porec to Trieste in approx. 2 hours (www.buscroatia.com).
- Organised transfer from Porec to Trieste available, cost EUR 45 per person (transfer only Wednesday and Saturday). Booking in advance required, payable on-site.
- Any visitor’s taxes are not included in the tour price and payable on site
- Attendance: min. of 2 persons
- Special arrangements for groups of min. 5 persons possible