The sunny Mediterranean peninsula.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
- Minimum number of participants: 2 persons
Arrival in Trieste
Trieste – Pesek
Today’s hiking day leads you out of the harbour town Trieste. After a short journey to the start of the tour you walk leisurely along the old railway route through the mixed woodlands of the Val Rosandra all the way to the hamlet Pesek. The valley is interesting for various reasons: apart from traces of prehistoric settlements you find the only river of the province here, carrying water all year round. On top of that it is characterised by a diverse vegetation.
Pesek – Muggia
Along the inital section you walk once again through the stunning Val Rosandra. You walk past the village of Bagnoli della Rosandra, from where you also get to marvel at the Roman aqueduct. You proceed through little villages forever getting closer to the sea until Aquilinia. By public transport you finally reach Muggia.
Muggia – Koper
You leave the tiny fishing village Muggia with its lovingly groomed old centre and continue to Ankaran. Soon you leave Italy and cross the border over to Slovenia. Pine forests offer lots of shade and again and again also views onto the numerous bays and the Mediterranean Sea. In the afternoon a transfer takes you to Koper. Capodistria, another name for this town already awaits you with all its magnificent buildings and you enjoy a relaxing end to the day in the car-free historic centre.
Koper – Piran
You always proceed along the sea into the ancient fishing town of Izola and then onwards to Piran, the birthplace of Giuseppe Tartini, a famous Italian violinist and composer, the town centre is strongly characterised by Venetian influences. Take a stroll through the alleyways featuring Venetian palaces or enjoy the atmosphere on the Piazza Tartini in the centre of Piran.
Piran – Motovun
Transfer from Piran to Grožnjan, a popular meeting place for musicians from all over the world. Every summer their classical concerts taking place here featuring young musicians. From Grožnjan you walk all the way to Livade. Today’s Day Finish towers high up on top of a hill and is already visible from afar!
Motovun – Porec
The final day on your expedition through Istria leads you to Porec. Starting from Motovun you hike to Vizinada, from there a shuttle bus takes you to your Day Finish. Already from afar the Euphrasius-basilica is visible, which is now a UNESCO World Heritage site and is definitely worth a visit. Enjoy a relaxing end to your hiking holiday with a nice glass of wine on one of the squares in the historic centre Porec.
Departure or extension
The terrain from Trieste to Poreč is slightly hilly. You walk on well-maintained hiking paths, forest paths, paths across meadows and along the coastline. For the daily tours only a basic fitness level is required. We recommend this tour also as a follow-on tour of the Alpe-Adria-Trail from Cividale to Trieste.
Category: 3***- and 4****- hotels, as well as beautiful B&Bs
- 7 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- Luggage transfer
- Welcome briefing (DE, EN)
- Transfers according to program
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents 1x per room (DE, EN)
- GPS data available
- Service hotline
- Organised transfer from Porec to Trieste available, cost EUR 45 per person (only Saturday). Booking in advance required, payable in advance.
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Airport Trieste, Pula or likewise to Venice or Treviso. From there by train or bus to Trieste.
- By train to Trieste.
- Parking: public parking spaces in Trieste, approx. EUR 10 to EUR 25 per day. No reservation possible in advance.
- Return journey by bus from Porec to Trieste in approx. 2.5 hours (www.nomago.si).
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Special dates for groups of min. 5 persons
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!