Normandy & Jersey
Amazing Steep Coast & Atlantic Jewel.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
- Minimum of participants: 2 persons
Arrival in Pontorson
The little village of Pontorson lies on the border between the two provinces Normandy and Bretagne, about 9 km from the bay of Mont Saint-Michel.
Walk along the Cousnon river to the bay of Mont Saint-Michel. Cross pretty villages and visit a mill. Mont Saint-Michel is a fortified village situated on an island. On the top of a rock escarpment a monastery inhabited by a dozen monks is situated. You stay overnight on the mainland and can enjoy the special view over the Mont-Saint-Michel.
After crossing the marshes west of Couesnon river you leave the Normandy for the Bretagne. You walk through green undulating landscape, dotted with little houses and grazing cattle to the pretty villages Roz-sur-Couesnon and Sainte-Broladre. You will spend the night on the mainland. The half timbered houses belong to the best maintained examples of the Bretagne.
The first interesting point of today is Mont-Dol with beautiful old church. Then you follow an oyster-park for several kilometres. The last kilometers to Cancale offer superb views across the bay. You stay overnight in a hotel on the port. Cancale enjoys the reputation of being the capital of oyster, „Huîtres“. It is said that the local oysters are the best and freshest – judge for yourself.
Cancale – Jersey
Take a morning walk to the headland Grouin. It is quite possible that you will encounter seals and dolphins. A transfer brings you to Sain-Malo to catch the ferry to the island Jersey to St. Helier. From there you will be taken to the pretty harbor town of Gorey, where you will spend the next few nights.
The hike to Rozel offers breathtaking panoramic views of the harbor, bay and sea. The higher you climb the more beautiful the views. There are some steep ascents to tackle. Pretty harbour Rozel with old granite cottages invites to stop for a lunch break.
Starting from the harbour you walk inland through rural area and along meandering paths reach Grouville with its beautiful church. A little bit further you reach the coast and proceed along a unique path between the sea and the Royal Jersey golf course. At Fort William you have nearly reached the end of today’s tour!
Departure or extension
Take the ferry from Jersey to Saint-Malo.
Characteristics of the route
Easy walking tours along the coast. Some stages require sure footedness. Walking distances in Jersey can be shortened by public transport. Scenic tour!
Category: pretty 2**-hotels, country hotels, partly 3***-hotels (French classifying, sea view on Jersey)
- 7 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- 1x evening meal (Dol-de-Bretagne)
- Luggage transfer (1 piece of luggage per person, excl. days with ferry transfer)
- Transfer Cancale – Saint-Malo
- Ferry fare Saint-Malo - Jersey – Saint-Malo
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents 1x per room (German, English)
- Service hotline
- Organised retourn transfer from Saint-Malo to Pontorson, EUR 120 per fare (Sundays and holidays EUR 150 per fare). Reservation necessary, payable in advance.
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Airport Paris and by train to Pontorson in approx. 3,5 to 4 hours.
- Parking: Limited number of hotel parking spaces, cost EUR 6 per night. Reservation necessary in advance, payable on site. Free, unguarded public parking spaces near the hotel, no reservation necessary.
- Return journey from Saint-Malo to Pontorson by train, approx. 1,5 hours (www.ter.sncf.com/bretagne).
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- The circular walk on day 6 and 7 is practicable in the reverse order.
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!