Jura Crest Trail
Round the bend.
- 7 Days / 6 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Arrival to Solothurn
Short train ride to Oberdorf and by cable car up to Weissenstein, where you reach the Jura Crest Trail. From the roof of Canton Solothurn, with views across the Jura arc to the Mittelland and snow-capped Alps and on through forests and typical Jura meadows. The first third is also a Planetenweg (planet path). Language border at Montagne de Romont.
From the low-lying Schüss Valley to the crest of the Bernese Jura. An almost constant, yet comfortable climb to scale the Chasseral, already seen from afar. Sensational panoramic view with the Mittelland lakes: a feast for the eyes. From Chasseral transfer down to Nods.
In the morning transfer up to Chasseral where you continue your walk. A varied hike between the upper St.Imier Valley and the Val de Ruz Valley with the winter-sports resort, Le Pâquier (hometown of ski-ace Didier Cuche). The top of the Vue des Alpes pass is not far from watch metropolis La Chaux-de-Fonds.
Enjoy the fantastic panoramic view from the high mountain chain with the Tête de Ran and Mont Racine peaks. The slabs of the rocky spur provide a breathtaking view down to Lac de Neuchâtel, before making the steep descent to Noiraigue.
Roundtrip Creux du Van
The perspiration at the start of this stage is well worth it: the highlight of the tour is the natural rock amphitheatre of Creux du Van, Swiss equivalent of the Grand Canyon. From the heights you can enjoy wonderful views on the sparkling waters of Lake Neuenburg. Return to Couvet or Travers at the end of the hike.
Departure or extension
For the steep ascents a good physical condition is needed. The trails are easy to walk, but they may be slippery on wet days.
Category: pretty middle-class hotels
- 6 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- Luggage transfer
- Transfers according to the program
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents 1x per room (German, English)
- GPS data available
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Arrival by train to Solothurn.
- Parking: public parking near the hotel, approx. EUR 10 per day, no reservation possible.
- Departure by train from Couvet/Travers to Solothurn, duration approx. 1,5 hours.
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Rides with cable cars and public transport, approx. EUR 35 per person.
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!