Alpine Panorama Trail
From Appenzell to Einsiedeln.
- 7 Days / 6 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Appenzell – Urnäsch
The route from the Innerrhoder main town of Appenzell to Gontenbad (with natural moor bathing pool) is level. From there along the «Barfussweg» (barefoot path) to Jakobsbad and through forest and meadows to Urnäsch (AR) famous for its Silvesterkläuse (New Year tradition).
Urnäsch – Schwägalp
Along the small Urnäsch river, across meadows and fields, through dark coniferous forests and past cascading waterfalls up to Schwägalp - bottom station of the aerial cableway to the Säntis with its fantastic summit panorama.
Splendid hike to Lutertannen and over the Risipass vantage point to Stein in Toggenburg. Meadows and Alpine pastures, near-to-nature low-moor marshes and coniferous forests alternate in colourful sequence.
The rather long ascent from Stein to the Vorderen Höhe is finally rewarded with wonderful views of the Glarner mountain peaks. A diverse high-level hike leads around the Gulmen, across to the Mattstock and down to Amden.
Amden – Einsiedeln
By bus down to Ziegelbrücke and with the train to Siebnen. A tough climb to Stöcklichrüz and a superb high-level hike around the northern end of Sihlsee lake to Einsiedeln. The St. Meinrads Chapel on Etzelpass and the house where Paracelsus was born are popular resting places, not just for pilgrims.
Apart from the last two legs easy hikes await you. You have to bring good stamina for this walk. The trails are well-maintained and easy to walk.
Category: pretty 3*** hotels, 1x 4****-Hotel in Schwägalp
- 6 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- Luggage transfer
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents 1x per room (German, English)
- GPS data available
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Arrival by train to Appenzell.
- Parking: close to the hotel, approx. EUR 8 per day, no reservation.
- Return travel by train via Biberbrugg and Herisau back to Appenzell. Duration approx. 2 hours.
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Fares for public transport, approx. EUR 10 per person.
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!