Arrival in Paestum
Paestum – Rocca Cilento
In the morning short bus journey to Agropoli. Your hiking holiday starts at the Punta Tresino promotory, one of the last unspoilt coastal areas in Southern Italy. The route leads through original, mediterranean scenery, through forests and dense vegetation, along stupendous beaches and past an ancient Roman port. Enjoy a swim in the sea at the sandy beach of Castellabate, before a transfer takes you to Rocca Cilento.
Loop Tour Rocca Cilento
Initially you follow a mountain chain with marvelous views onto the little village of Lustra, before descending into the so-called „Valle dei Mulini“ (valley of the mills). Here you get to discover historic relicts of numerous mills whilst walking along the stream. Onwards the path continues on hilly terrain past the charming village Valle Cilento, luring you with its belfries. Via the deserted village Massacanina you reach the monastery of Mercato Cilento.
Today you embark on a stunning panoramic hiking tour along the Monte Stella ridge. The Monte Stella is still to this day the geographical centre of the region, characterised by languorous medieval villages and a breathtaking view onto the island of Capri and the Amalfi coast. Through the mediterranean Macchia, dense chestnut forests and rugged rocky scenery you arrive in the idyllic village of Galdo di Pollica.
With this hiking tour the cultural treasures of the Cilento await to be discovered by you. Initially you proceed into the tiny medieval Galdo, where we recommend you visit the church San Nicola in its secluded location. Uphill into the little village of Celso with its antique vaulted arch. From there the route leads you along one of the most beautiful hiking paths with regards to scenery to Pollica and onwards with a marvelous view onto the sea to Cannicchio, before returning into the valley to Galdo di Pollica.
You walk leisurely along a picturesque route down to the coast into the pretty fishing village Acciaroli, once one of Ernest Hemingway’s favorite places. Enjoy a long rest and swim at the beautiful sandy beach before a transfer takes you to San Marco di Castellabate. Here we recommend a walk into the Castellabate with its impressive castle and a marvelous panorama. From Santa Maria di Castellabate the route leads you back always along the beach.
As a finale of your holiday you walk on the Monte Licosa promontory, this area truly sparkles with maritime charm and the whisper of the sea seems to quietly tell the famous legend of Ulysses: the siren Leucosia once drowned herself here after failing to beguile Ulysses with her song – so please be careful! High up at the ridge you walk past ancient watch towers, from which you enjoy once again a stupendous view onto the entire coastline.
Departure or extension
Hiking tours full of panoramic views along well-maintained coastal-, forest- and hiking paths. In parts you also hike along narrow tracks, here a bit of surefootedness is advantageous. Daily walking times between about 2 to 5 hours await, for which we recommend a good basic fitness level. Often there is a shorter or longer option on offer.
| Season 1 |
01.04.2020 - 30.06.2020
01.09.2020 - 15.10.2020
| Season 2 |
01.07.2020 - 31.08.2020
|Mountains & Sea in the Cilento, IT-CIWPS-08X|
|Base price|| |
|Surcharge single room||119.00||139.00|
|Surcharge single traveler||109.00||109.00|
Category: 4x agriturismi (Italian country houses), 3x beautiful 3*** hotels
Extra Nights on request in each day Finish
- 7 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- 5x evening meal (1x Paestum, 2x Rocca Cilento, 2x Galdo di Pollica)
- Luggage transfer
- Transfers according to program
- Return transfer San Marco di Castellabate – Agropoli Castellabate train station
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents 1x per room (German, English)
- GPS-data is available
- Organised transfer from Naples airport or train station to Paestum, cost EUR 175 per fare (1 to 3 persons), EUR 205 per fare (4 to 7 persons).
- Organised return transfer from San Marco di Castellabate to Naples airport or train station, EUR 205 per fare (1 to 3 persons), EUR 225 per fare (4 to 7 persons).
- Reservation is required for all transfers, payable in advance. Pick-up after 9 pm and before 6.30 am: surcharge EUR 20 per fare (1 to 3 persons), EUR 30 per fare (4 to 7 persons).
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Arrival by plane or train at Naples and then by train in approx. 1,5 hours to Paestum.
- Parking: limited number of hotel parking spaces free of charge and public car parks, approx. EUR 10 per day, prior booking definitely necessary.
- Organised transfer from San Marco di Castellabate to Agropoli-Castellabate is included in the tour price. By train in approx. 1,5 hours to Naples. Alternatively by bus from San Marco in approx. 45 minutes to Paestum.
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Train ride Paestum – Agropoli, cost approx. EUR 5 per person
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!