Sweet Chestnut- & Vineyard Walk
The Heart of South Tyrol.
- 7 Days / 6 Nights
- Self-guided tour
- Minimum number of participants: 2 persons
Arrival in Brixen
Stroll through the arcades of Brixen, see the marvellous dome district and the Bishop’s castle.
Brixen – Klausen
From Brixen you walk on mountain Pfeffersberg. Following the terraces, you pass little hamlets and mountain farms. To the south you enjoy a panorama view of mighty Dolomite peaks. You reach Feldthurns and via the monastery Säben, the “Acropolis of South Tyrol“ you reach the Dürer town Klausen, where an welcome briefing is planned.
Klausen – Bolzano
After a short coach transfer to Barbian you walk on Ritten, a marvellous high plateau above Eisack valley with stunning views to the Dolomites and the Schlern Massif. In the afternoon you pass the famous earth pyramids before taking the cable car down to Bozen.
Today you explore the famous vineyards around the most famous lake of South Tyrol, Lake Kalterer See. Fortresses, castles, monasteries and courtyards are dotted between the vineyards, characteristic for today’s walking stage. A must for wine-lovers is a visit of South Tyrols wine museum in Kaltern, giving a good introspection into the history of wine in South Tyrol.
Round trip Tramin
The South Tyrolean Wine Street: a hot tip for wine-lovers. Picturesque vineyards and fascinating country, the largest wine-cellars and many famous wine-producers can be found here. Enjoy the wonderful view from the Alteburg over the whole vineyard.
Short transfer to Lana. Walk along well known Marlinger Waals – the longest of all South Tyrolean Waals. A Waal is an irrigation ditch, dug hundreds of years before to irrigate the dry country on the hills. Today they are beautiful walking paths. The famous Trappeiner path guides you to the bath town Merano. Empress Elisabeth of Austria used to be a regular visitor of the thermal spa, loveing the warm climate and picturesque flair.
Departure or extension
You walk on marked walking paths, mainly through meadows and forests. The Dolomites remain in view but you will encounter no rocky paths during the way. A good basic fitness level for walking times up to 6 hrs is required. Some stages can be shortened by public transport.
Category: partly 4**** hotels, mostly lovely 3*** hotels and country hotels
- 6 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- Luggage transfer
- Welcome briefing (DE, EN)
- Transfers according to program
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents 1x per room (DE, EN)
- GPS-data is available
- If half board: min. 3-course evening meal (6x)
- Organised return transfer from Meran to Brixen available on request. Reservation is required, payable in advance.
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- By train via Innsbruck to Brixen and a few walking minutes to the hotel.
- Parking: Hotel garage approx. EUR 55 per week or hotel car park approx. EUR 18 per week. No reservation possible, payable locally.
- Return journey from Merano to Brixen by train in approx. 1.5 hrs. (www.trenitalia.it).
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Special arrangements for groups of min. 5 persons possible
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!