Following the Traces of the Romans.
- 7 Days / 6 Nights
- Self-guided tour
- Minimum of participants: 2 persons
Arrival in Newcastle
Newcastle on the river Tyne has a long tradition as sea-port. Modern and tradition meet in a harmonious way.
Newcastle – Carlisle
Transfer from Newcastle to the starting point of Hadrians Wall, with views on Bowness-on-Solway, one of England’s five „Areas of outstanding natural beauty“. The summits of Lake District are your steady companions today, as well as a rich birdlife. Carlisle is a lively city with medieval fortress. Explore ancient rooms, stairways and dungeons with legendary „lick-stones“.
Carlisle – Lanercost
The tour today goes from Carlisle through the beautiful rural countryside to Lanercost. This hike along the infinite wall is very impressive. Your tour ends in the small village of Lanercost, where you should be in the local pub to try the local beer.
Lanercost – Steel Rigg
At first you pass by Birdoswald Fort and walk up to the famous Winshields Crags to Steel Rigg. Birdoswald Fort lies high above a bend of river Irthing. Take the time to enjoy this picturesque part of Hadrians Wall. Now the territory starts to rise and you walk past many watch towers.
Steel Rigg – Chollerford
Sustained by a substantial English breakfast you reach the best known part of Hadrians Wall. Pass Sycamore Gap and Crag Lough, location of many historic films. Continue to Houseteads, with almost fully maintained Roman fort and fantastic scenic views. As one of the 12 permanently manned forts it was built by Hadrian approx. 124 AC. The Romans knew the place as „Vercovicium“, the place with the best fighters.
Enjoy scenic views of the Cheviout Hills and many places to stop for a snack. Recuperate and sustain yourself with a substantial British dinner.
The last day is one of many contrasts. In the morning you follow river Tyne through lovely pastures. Then the industrial heritage of Newcastle upon Tyne follows suite. Past hotels, Tyne Bridge, Sage Gateshead (modern concert hall) and the recently opened Baltic (arts centre) – here the Industrial Revolution changed into a Cultural Revolution. Segedunum, the Roman fort marks the end of Hadrians Wall.
You walk on marked paths through remote scenic countryside. A good fitness level for walking up to 7 hrs is required.
| Season 1 |
01.04.2021 - 31.10.2021
|Hadrians Wall 7 days, UK-HWWNE-07X|
|Base price|| |
|Surcharge single room||339.00|
Category: middle class hotels, country hotels, B&B`s and very good hostels
| Season 1 |
Apr 1, 2021 - Oct 31, 2021
|Extra night p.p. dbl/bb||85.00|
|Extra night sgl/bb||170.00|
- 6 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- Luggage transfer (1 piece of luggage per person)
- Transfer Newcastle – Bowness-on-Solway
- Transfer after the last tour from Segedunum to Newcastle train station or hotel
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents 1x per room (German, English)
- Service hotline
- Organized transfer from and to the airport Newcastle, EUR 65 per way (max. 4 people), payable in advance, reservation required.
Arrival / Departure:
- Airport London, Edinburgh or Glasgow and by train to Newcastle (www.thetrainline.com).
- Airport Newcastle and via metro to Newcastle Central Station, approx. EUR 5 per person. Further on via taxi to the hotel, approx. EUR 30 per way.
- Return at the end of the tour to the starting point or to the train station Newcastle is organized and included in the price.
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!