Walking along the Path of the Senses.
- 7 Days / 6 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Individual journey to the Bodental Valley
Sveta Anna – Bodental
Along possibly the oldest section of the Hemma- Pilgrims’ path on the Slovenian side of St. Anna, you walk via the Loibl pass. This bridle path to Carinthia has existed since Roman times, but only since the iron ore and silver mining days was the economical significance of this important North-South connection promoted. Walk past original farm houses and then downhill into the arboreous Loibltal valley.
To begin with, today’s tour takes you from the Bodental valley to the roaring Tschauko waterfall. Newly-built trails lead you down into the Loibltal valley, where the Hemma-Pilgrims’ path bridges the impressive Tscheppaschlucht gorge on safe gangplanks and ladders. Via Unterloibl the pilgrims’ path reaches the ‚gun smith town’ of Ferlach, shortly afterwards you arrive at Carinthia’s main river Drau.
Bodental – Klagenfurt
You leave the impressive Karawanken mountains behind. Starting from lake Ferlacher Stausee, you walk to the pilgrimage church Maria Rain and over the Sattnitzrücken further on to the abbey of Viktring, a former monastery of the Cistercians.
You will feel the rich history and culture of Carinthia on the fields where the former roman city „Virunum“ has been discovered. At the mountain Magdalensberg, which has been used by the Celts for special cults and rituals and is still the goal of many pilgrims today, you will enjoy a breath taking panoramic view. Downwards you will pass the castle of Hochosterwitz and follow comfortable tracks and paths to the abbey of St. Georgen.
On the final segment of your pilgrims’ week, you turn your focus once again back onto the beauty of the scenery along your path towards Gurk. A walking path with great views leads you through the Wimitzer mountains. Eventually there is only a small hill separating you from your pilgrims’ finish at Gurk Cathedral. After a prayer of gratitude and the bestowal of the pilgrimage certificate, this most memorable experience comes to a relaxing close.
Individual departure and return transfer
For the daily tours with a walking time of approx. 4 to 6 hours, a good basic fitness level is essential. The routes can be managed without any technical difficulties, however some walking experience is of advantage. In parts, tours can be cut short.
Category: 3x 3*** inn, 3x 3*** hotel
- 6x overnight stays as stated above, breakfast included
- Luggage transfer
- Transfers from/to airport/train station Klagenfurt and return transfer to the Bodental valley
- Transfers according to programme
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Arrival by train or plane at Klagenfurt. Then organised transfer into the Bodental valley, included in the price, reservation when booking essential.
- Parking: hotel parking spaces free of charge, no reservation necessary.
- Organised return transfer to the Bodental valley or the airport/train station included, reservation when booking essential.
- Extra nights upon request in overnight stays
- Minimum of participants: 2 persons